Using Stock Footage for Website Backgrounds
The New Age of Web Design: Video Backgrounds and Headers
They say a picture paints a thousand words. If that’s true, then what about video? In this article we explain the benefits ofÂ using stock footage to add aÂ video background for your web page.
Here at Videvo, we aim to provideÂ you with free HD stock footage thatÂ can be used and adapted in as many ways as possible â€“ and this includes video forÂ webpages. Whether you are designingÂ a personalÂ portfolio or customizingÂ a company site, videoÂ can be a valuable addition to help make your webpageÂ look polished, professional and ultimately stand out against others. And it’s nowÂ easier than ever before, particularlyÂ if you have access to a readily available source of free stock footage from yours truly.
But Why Should I Use Video?
As the process of website creationÂ continues toÂ become increasinglyÂ simplifiedÂ and more accessible, so too are the expectations for clean, modern web designs. Owning a website is now more or less essential if you’re a freelancer or run a small business, and with so many people realising the importance of a well designed website,Â how can you make yours stand out against the others? A good wayÂ is to stay up to date on web design trends and one of these latest trends is video backgrounds. Thanks to things like HTML5 video andÂ jQuery, web designers have begun to experiment with adding video backgrounds instead of stillÂ images, allowing creators to add aÂ personal touch to any siteÂ with videos that complement theÂ webpage’sÂ overall message.
But what if you want to follow the modern, large video background trend but don’t have your own HD video clips, or at least none that relateÂ to your company, product, business, etc.?
That’s where free stock footage comes in. Whether you’re looking for free, large video background to compliment your site, or simply wondering how to add a big video headers to the top of your homepage, stock footage is a high-quality source that let’s you add thatÂ added flare to your siteÂ â€“Â and if you can get it for free then even better!
Which Footage Shall I Use?
A few things to keep in mind before selecting a featured video clip for your site:
- The length of the video clip -Â You don’t want your website visitorsÂ to be watching an entire narrativeÂ as soon as they navigate to your site. Instead, you should aim for a clip that is betweenÂ 10-15 secondsÂ long and preferably something that loops seamlessly. Luckily, Videvo offers a good selection of HD clips that are loopable.
- Relativity of the clipÂ – Videos for your web page should be there to amplify your site’s message, not as needless decoration. Make sure the chosen clip relatesÂ to your site’s atmosphere, product, etc.
- Size of the clip -Â Large video backgrounds, banners, and headers all call for videos with high resolutions. Videvo provides clips in full 1920×1080 HD resolution, which function nicelyÂ as video web page headers and big video backgrounds. Avoid videos with smaller resolutions (i.e. don’t try to use anything less than a 720p YouTube video as a video banner!).
Still need some help deciding? With free stock footage, the possibilities for videoÂ headers and backgrounds are endless, but below we’ve thought ofÂ a few free HD stock video clips from Videvo that we think would work for general website themes, all of which containÂ plenty of copy space for your web page text:
- Our newest ink flow collection – This batch of free stock video clips lets you choose from a variety of different colors that fit your website theme. All ink flows appearÂ against a white background, so they giveÂ your video backgrounds and headers that clean look.
- AbstractÂ clipsÂ with clean color schemesÂ – The “Abstract” section of ourÂ site is filled with simplistic designsÂ that will not distract from your website title and text.
- Video clips that show wideÂ landscapes – Wide-angled natureÂ shots are a popular choice for video website headers, because they are easy to loop and look greatÂ as large backgrounds.
HowÂ Do I Do It?
Well you’re kind of asking the wrong people here – we’re just simple video guys. However,Â SitePoint offers a nice video tutorial on how to go about creating a full-width video header for your website using Bootstrap:
You can also check out this article by Elegant Themes regarding how to add video backgrounds to a webpage using WordPress.
That’s about all there is to it! HopefullyÂ you’re now prepared to incorporate free stock footage as a video background or header onÂ your website. Be sure to browse through our entire library, notably the Backgrounds section of the site, to find the video header clip or video background footage that works best for you.
Best of luck onÂ your web design journey, and see you soon!
The Video Team